Monday

Innovative Minds Don’t Think Alike

This is an interesting article from The New York Times.

Innovative Minds Don’t Think Alike By JANET RAE-DUPREE
Published:
December 30, 2007
Experts in a field can benefit from an outsider’s perspective

"As our knowledge and expertise increase, our creativity and ability to innovate tend to taper off. Why? Because the walls of the proverbial box in which we think are thickening along with our experience."

I find this article personally interesting because as an SME/ recruitment professional you can easily get sucked into processes that can constrict your focus when looking for that one, specific candidate. This can be particularly easy of you recruit for the same or similar positions the majority of the time. It is just too easy to narrow you focus on a specific background. I am sure I have had moments in which I have been guilty of this very thing. I continually step back and do my best to not let that happen. I care too much to forget everything that made me good at the selection process in the first place. I also find that it helps me remember that people in other roles in my organization don’t see what I do and I have to be sensitive to that. Networking online and in person helps as well. For me, networking is more then just making contacts; it stimulates creative juices and sometimes just helps refocus from a clear, invigorated prospective.


Recruitnik fan? Get all new posts delivered to your email!
Subscribe to “Through The Eyes of a Recruiter” by Email!

Digg!